Since 2015, we have run three rounds of 1st 5. 1st 5 is a 9-month discipleship group consisting of couples in their first five years of marriage, aiming to answer the question, “How can we best position our marriage for decades of God-honoring, sweetness-intensifying, gospel-proclaiming, others-benefitting enjoyment?” We don’t make money-back guarantees, but we also don’t charge you any money. Here’s a quick sketch of what this will look like:
Who: You and your spouse
What: Getting together for dessert, fun, discussion, and prayer.
When: One Saturday each month, 7-10p, September through May (9 meetings)
Why: Too many reasons. A few are listed below.
Each month, a different “seasoned” couple from the church will join us to share their story and share some of what they’ve learned through their years of marriage. You’ll get to benefit from their wisdom and experience, as well as from new or continued relationship with another couple you can look to and learn from.
Think, pray, and talk about this as a couple, and then register by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration deadline is August 1.
1st 5: Why
- marriage is a wonderful gift
- marriage is not easy
- marriages do not grow stronger without hard work and intentionality
- we sometimes have a hard time talking about marriage issues with others
- the early years are very important and formative
- it’s a blessing to have other couples to walk alongside
- it’s a blessing to have more seasoned couples to learn from
1st 5: Topics
- Love stories — how it all began
- God is for us — how the gospel makes it work
- Being for each other — how communication works
- Growing together — how to get where we want to go
- Learning from others — how to not be know-it-alls
- A marriage that ministers — how to steward this gift
- Trouble with the law(s) — how our allegiances matter
- Sex anyone? — how to steal from the thief
- Suffering together — how to survive the furnace