post by Josh Fenska
“I will extol you, my God and King,
and bless your name forever and ever.
Every day I will bless you and praise your name forever and ever.
Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised,
and his greatness is unsearchable.
One generation shall commend your works to another,
and shall declare your mighty acts….
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom,
and your dominion endures throughout all generations.
The Lord is faithful in all his words
and kind in all his works.” (Psalms 145:1–13)
This Sunday morning we will dedicate 10 children, and pray for their families. Children are a precious gift from God. As a church, we want to surround parents with love and pray for them in their holy calling to raise their children “in the discipline and instruction of the Lord” (Eph 6:4).
Several years ago, we adopted the practice of asking these questions below on child dedication Sundays–to help us feel a sense of our holy responsibility and opportunity before God. We make these commitments for each other’s good and to the glory of God:
+ + +
Questions for parents:
- Parents, will you entrust your children to God—to His providential plan and care?
- Will you commit, with the help of your church community, to instruct your children by word and example, in the truth of God’s Word?
- Will you commit to pray for them and teach them to pray?
Response of parents:
- With God’s help, we will.
Questions for church:
- Church, will you commit to walk alongside these parents with the goal that these children may be raised with the truth of God’s Word?
- Will you commit to pray for these parents and encourage them throughout the joys and trials of parenting?
- Will you commit display the gospel for these children and to pray for them — that they may be drawn to love Jesus and trust in Him?
Response of congregation:
- With joy and thanksgiving, as Christ’s church, with God’s help, we promise to love, encourage, and support you as you follow Christ and train your children in the faith.