World Relief is an evangelical refugee resettlement agency. They provide a wide array of services to newly arrived and recently settled refugees. As refugee families realize they may never return home, they often face an overwhelming loss of hope. Alongside local partners, World Relief works to combat this by providing trauma counseling, mother and parent groups, and literacy clubs for refugee children to learn, grow and play. As refugees begin to rebuild their homes and lives, World Relief also help families find housing, learn English, pursue employment, build friendships and create long-term support systems.
What types of ways are available to serve?
- be part of a pickup-welcome team at the airport for arriving refugees.
- be a part of a team that sets up supplies in an apartment to ready it for a newly arrived family.
- be paired up with a newly arrived family or individual as a friendship partner, which involves simply visiting once a week with them and helping to guide them through some of the practical day to day challenges of acclimating to living in a new country.
- Participate in an After School Club (Redeemer will be hosting one at Advent starting this school year!), which involves providing homework/studying assistance to school students of various grades and often playing some games too. :]
- teach ESL classes, with appropriate training.
What time/prep/etc commitment are volunteers asked to make?
The time commitment depends on the volunteer position you are interested in, but a few hours once a week can be a general expectation.
Expectations – Training Process
World Relief is very focused on providing volunteers with initial orientation and training to know what to expect. Their training gives helpful guidance in how to best approach forming and maintaining relationships with these new friends. All World Relief Volunteers are required to submit an application and pass a criminal background check. After that you can expect to attend a group orientation session of a couple hours before getting plugged into your desired opportunity.