Our Good Friday service will be at 7pm at Plank Jr High, together with our friends from Mission Church in Montgomery.
For many people, this is one of the most meaningful services of the year. The “feel” or the “vibe” is little bit different than our typical Sunday gathering. There is gravity to this service because of the focus on the cross. But it is beautiful. The service includes traditional hymns and worship songs, Scripture reading, a message, and time for believers to take the Lord’s Supper. We do not offer special kids classes during this service, but kids are totally welcome for the whole service, and we provide packets of coloring sheets and crayons for kids.
This year, part of our service will focus on the seven sayings of Christ from the cross, which you can read and consider this Holy Week:
- And Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” (Luke 23:34)
- And he said to him, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise.” (Luke 23:43)
- When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son!” Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother!” And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home. (John 19:26-27)
- And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” that is, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46 [see Psalm 22:1])
- After this, Jesus, knowing that all was now finished, said (to fulfill the Scripture), “I thirst.” John 19:28 (see Psalm 22:14-15)
- When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, “It is finished,” and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. (John 19:30)
- Then Jesus, calling out with a loud voice, said, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!” And having said this he breathed his last. (Luke 23:46 [see Psalm 31:3-5])